Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Matt, Miley & Me



Matt Pitt, a young man who started a small Bible study that grew into a huge ministry, The Basement, essentially overnight, now sits in the Shelby County Jail without bond. 

 Miley Cyrus, the 20 year old, formerly known as child star “Hannah Montana” strutted out of the mouth of a teddy bear onto the stage with her tongue hanging out at the VMA's on Sunday. She is now being blasted by every news media out there and has become the epitome of what every parent fears for their daughter.

Although one is a famous singer and the other a youth evangelist, they we have alot in common. 

Matt's latest accusation was impersonating a peace officer (it’s ok if you do not know what a peace officer is, I had to look it up, too).  Being one of the most famous youth evangelists in the country just wasn’t good enough. He even has a badge saying he is an honorary peace officer.  But that is not his true identity.  

Miley’s identity search began when she wasn’t Hannah Montana anymore. And it seems like ever since, she has been trying to tell the world that she is no longer a little girl.

I am sure that these two never imagined their lives would be this public.  It was probably in their wildest dreams. But now that they are, lots of eyes are watching. 
Little girls all over the country have watched Hannah Montana evolve into what the world calls a beautiful and successful twenty something. 
Youth all over the nation pour into Boutwell Auditorium monthly to hear the message that the Trussville native Matt Pitt brings.
What is heartbreaking is that I am sure that they never thought this “good life” would end up being empty.  I am sure they never really believed that fame could backbite.
 I bet Miley never went on that stage hoping to be blasted by every news media in the country and I bet Matt never thought starting that small Bible Study in his basement would inflate his ego so much that he literally would not be able to handle it.  And that is the nature of pride...we do not see it coming because it is so subtle. 

The rise to power can be deadly.  

I often wonder what the phrase “humble yourself” really looks like.  I struggle with this phrase.  I want to be humble, but truth be told, I am a prideful, prideful person. So what does true humility look like?

Jesus. 

Ok. I know, I know.  Pulling that “Jesus card” again.  But the truth is, the reason we are in the messes we are in is because we haven’t looked at his life.  We think the answer to our problems lies outside his inerrant word.  One thing God is showing me lately is that there is not one thing that his word doesn't address.  
Not one. 

 But really, let’s look at his life.  He didn’t start his public ministry until he was in his thirties.   
And he was God.  
 So, what did he do until then?  He served, he worked, and he sat in the synagogue, listening and asking questions. 
 And he was God.  If anyone could have let their status or fame inflate their ego, it was Jesus.  But, he humbled himself.  Taking on the form of a servant 
 And even until death, he remained obedient and humbled himself under the mighty hand of God.  

"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."
Philippians 2:5-11 
Perfect submission to the Father.  Perfect humility. 

And the cold hard truth is that you and I are not that much different than Matt and Miley.  I am not famous and my life is not public, but I have a mighty strong ego that begs to be fed every single day of my life. My biggest struggle is finding my identity in Christ.

   Pride has always been at the very root of our sin.  We think we know best and we take good things God has given us and bow down to worship the creation rather than the creator.
And the results are the same. For Matt Pitt, for Miley Cyrus, and for me. 

"Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall"
Proverbs 16:18


Father, please do not allow me to take the good gifts you have given me and turn them into weapons for my own destruction.  Show me what it means to humble myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment