Sunday, August 11, 2013

How Much Do You "Like" Me?







Do you "like" me? Do you approve?

Do not get me wrong, I love Facebook. A whole lot. I love seeing pictures. I love knowing what everyone is up to on the weekends. I love the communication it provides. But in all honesty, I love it too much. I think there can be good things that come from it. But I also know the fantasy world of intimate friendships that Facebook has taken me to. It's my go-to. When I am lonely, it is where I run. When I was in my active addiction, it truly was the only avenue I would use for interaction. It gives me this momentary, false sense of "everything is ok, you are not really alone". And it quickly leaves. And twenty minutes later, I am checking to make sure all of you are still out there. And to really make sure you all still "like" me and approve, I will post a status update. Or a blog post. Or a picture. Just to see all the likes and comments roll in.

Katy Watters, you were created for more than that. You were created for a deep, real, intimate relationship with the King.

"O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
beholding your power and glory.
Because your steadfast love is better than life,
my lips will praise you.
So I will bless you as long as I live;
in your name I will lift up my hands.
My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food,
and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips,
when I remember you upon my bed,
and meditate on you in the watches of the night;
for you have been my help,
and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.
My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me."
Psalm 63:1-8



"Abide in me, and I in you.
As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.
I am the vine; you are the branches.
Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."
John 15: 4-5


And then I play the all-too-familiar game of comparison when I am checking Facebook. This past weekend, it was terrible. Jealousy set in. Discontentment flooded my heart. Envy was making me miserable. What kind of true community and fellowship is that? It's not at all. But this:

"...And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved."
Acts 2: 42-47

This is true fellowship with other believers.

Facebook is not eternal, but the time I have spent  wasted would tell you otherwise. And if I am honest, the people that I am genuinely friends with and live in real community with, I hardly have any interaction with on Facebook.

I do not think a thing is wrong with Facebook in and of itself, only what I have allowed it to become in my life. I have put it before God and other believers time and time again. I have been fooled to believe that this would fill the void that I feel at times.

Facebook has turned into such an idol in my life, giving me momentary satisfaction and leaving me empty and craving true fellowship with my maker at the end of the day.

And the irony of this blogpost is that probably no one will read this because I won't be posting it on Facebook! :)

1 comment:

  1. Ok maybe God is telling me something from this post... I've been thinking about opening a Facebook page now that I've been home almost four months, but I also used it to much it was an addiction for me. I looked for comfort and acceptance through FB as well. Think I'll take this as a cue from God. Love all your posts Katy! Very thought evoking and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete