Friday, August 2, 2013

Treasure



I was cleaning my apartment last night (love turning on my music and cleaning....am I weird??) I was processing my day...just kind of rehearsing everything I had done, when I realized that something was off.  

THE DEPOSIT.  

At work, I take alot of rent.  So, that means a lot of money at the end of the day.  
(And it was August 1, so alot of people had come in to pay)  
I could not, for the life of me, remember what I did with that deposit.  
So I drop the Pledge and my Magic Eraser mop (you really should get one) and ran out the door to my office.  
I looked high and low.  In garbage cans.  In cabinets.  Under the copier.  Under the fax.  In outgoing mail.  In my car.  In my bag.  I even looked in the bathroom cabinet and refrigerator.  I tore the place down.  I was frantic.  I left the office, got halfway home, and turned around and went back to the office to look some more.  Just in case.  

 I knew I would not be able to rest until I found the deposit. 
And I was right.  
I did sleep, but I did not rest. I was up at 4:30 this morning, willing to do what I had to do to find that deposit!!

I get on "kicks" of listening to songs. This week it has been "You Revive Me"  If you haven't heard it, listen here.  During my search for the money, of course this song came to mind.
There is a line that says "You are the treasure I could not afford, so I'll spend myself 'till I'm empty and poor...all for you....you revive me, Lord."
  
That deposit was my treasure...

And my heart will always seek for a treasure.  That is why it was created.  But that treasure is NOTHING less than Jesus himself.  I will always come up empty handed  and disappointed if I look anywhere else. 

It is my prayer that I will seek the face of God with the same passion, diligence, and determination that I searched for that deposit.  I made that deposit my treasure for those 12 hours, and I was exhausted. But when I seek Christ as my treasure, he promises rest.  

Of course the outcome was good.  The money was found.  But I am thankful for what I learned.  It may seem like I over-spiritualized this to you, but I fully believe God uses all situations to reveal himself to us.  

What if I rose early with an anxious heart to seek the face of God?
What if I stayed up late?
What if I exhausted myself in my pursuit of him?
What if nothing else in this world would settle my heart until I found him?

What would my life look like?  

I bet it would look a whole lot different.  


"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" - Matthew 6:21



No comments:

Post a Comment