Sunday, June 30, 2013

I Hope You Dance!


"Jesus invited us to a dance...and we've turned in into a march of soldiers, always checking to see if we're doing it right and are in step and in line with the other soldiers. And we aren't even supposed to be marching in the first place." - Steve Brown

Every morning when my feet hit the floor I have a choice to make: will I dance? or will I march?

I spend alot of my days marching. 

As a woman, I need to make sure all of you other women "soldiers" approve of how I look. Of how I dress. Of what I say.  Me.  I need you to approve of me. Because it is about me.
 
And I certainly must keep up with you.  With your expectations.  With who you think I should be. I lose focus.  I lose focus before I even get the chance to focus on Christ.  Because it is about you.   
 
And when I do this, I lose the beauty of community.  I miss out on fellowship that God designed and deemed necessary.  I miss out on the dance of abundant life.  And my eyes aren't fixed on Christ if they are fixed on you or me.  

Marching is exhausting.
Dancing is freeing. 
 
In dancing, there is no status quo. There are little expectations.  I am free.  You are free. 
 
Because Christ is enough.  And he is enough to fulfill and exceed these expectations we set for ourselves.
 
Lord, let me hear your music and show me how to dance!
 
I hope you are dancing!
 
"For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying so please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ." - Galatians1:10

You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. -Isaiah 26:3

No comments:

Post a Comment