Thursday, July 18, 2013

Jesus > Addiction


"Relapse is a part of recovery."   

There are few statements that I hate more than this one. It makes me cringe.  Fear rises when I hear it. 

I think that statement sets those of us in recovery up for failure.  I remember when I expected to relapse.  Just wondering when it would happen.  I thought it would happen at Thanksgiving, or come around my one year sobriety date. 

Jesus is greater than addiction. 

He is far bigger than any relapse.  His grace goes deeper than any pit that pills or booze can throw me into.  His promises to keep me are true. 

I will put it out there: one of my greatest fears my greatest fear is relapse.  Going back into my "Egypt" that God has brought me out of is the last thing I WANT to do. When I first left treatment if you would have told me that jumping off a building backwards would have kept me sober, I would have done it 20 times.  I would have done anything to stay sober.  And I still will.  As long as it pushes me forward in my relationship with Jesus and keeps me sober. 

While relapse may be part of some people's story (maybe even mine...by the grace of God, I hope not), it doesn't have to be.  I do not know everything there is to know about recovery in general.   
 But I do know the source of my sobriety.   
It is only by his grace alone that anyone can overcome any addiction of any kind. 
I know that the next right thing in all situations is to keep my eyes on Jesus, the founder and perfecter of my faith.  And be obedient.  His commands are not burdensome. 
He has commanded us to flee.  To make no provision for our flesh.  And to put on his full armor.

Bottom line: Jesus is greater than our sin.  
And his grace is sufficient.  

He is greater than your addiction, whatever that is.  He is bigger than your struggles with homosexuality.  He is greater than your eating disorder.  He is greater than a bad day at work. He is even greater than your shopping addiction.

He has conquered sin and He is greater than the world. 

"...I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” 
 -John 16:33


No comments:

Post a Comment