Tuesday, January 14, 2014

All You Need Is Love

 
 
Phillip Ellen

9 out of 10 people (maybe 10 out of 10) will recognize the name in Etowah County
and surrounding areas.  
Last week, "Brother Phillip" was laid to rest. 
After a battle with cancer, he went home to be with The Lord. 

How do I know Phillip Ellen? 

Well, this man had a heart for the outcasts.  
He loved the unlovable. 
He pursued drug addicts and alcoholics because he knew the only true hope that could be offered
is the person of Jesus Christ. 
Brother Phillip started New Life for Women, the treatment center I was in for 8 months. 
In short, Brother Phillip's heart and vision is a huge reason why I am sober and
walking with The Lord today. 
I did not have a close relationship with him. I am pretty sure he never really learned that my name was Katy, but he knew who I was and called me "the girl with the million dollar smile". 
I also knew that he loved me. 
Because he told me. 
Every single time that I saw him.
And I will never forget that.
At the most unlovable time in my life, he loved me! 
That.is.the.gospel.  
It is proof that to impact the world, all you need is a love for God and a love for people. 
Although there were numerous people at his funeral, we will NEVER know the depths of the impact this man of God had on the kingdom.   

His funeral was a true celebration. 
As it should have been. 
This man literally impacted the nations. 
I get chills just thinking about it. 
He left a legacy. 
He stored up his treasures in Heaven and his joy is now complete
as he is in the presence of the Almighty Jesus. 

It made me start thinking of what treasures I am storing up. 
It made me wonder if my life is truly having an eternal impact. 
Do I live for this world or am I truly living as a sojourner and an exile on this Earth,
anticipating the kingdom? 
What really matters to me?  Is it my appearance?  My reputation? My comfort? 
If I am honest, it is a resounding "yes".   
Ouch. 
 
The law of God is summed up in 2 commands:  Love God.  Love people. 
It isn't to be innovative and pioneering. 
It is to love. 
The love that we show others could (and will) affect generations to come.  It is simple obedience. 
My family (who will never meet him) will be different because of the love that
Brother Phillip has shown. 
Because he loved with the love of Christ. 
I hope to love with the same love.     
 
It is amazing to see how, even though Brother Phillip's life on this earth is over,
he is STILL impacting the nations. 
Even this girl. 
This girl that he barely knew, but loved. 
 
"God is good all the time.  All the time, God is good."
 
 
 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment