Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A Red Peacoat, A Twenty Dollar Bill, and the Season's Change

(disclaimer: I am not changing jobs, or cities, or getting married, or making some huge change in my life.  I was just thinking about the change of seasons and God brought this to my heart! Also, that is NOT me in the above pic.  Ok, now that we've got all of that straight, you can keep reading!)

Fall is here!  And I love everything about this season. I love the "pep" it puts in my step.  I love the weather.  I love the foliage. I love the beautiful skies.  I love the bonfires.  I just love this season! I think alot of us do!  In the South, we love the relief of the cooler air and SEC football is on everyone's TV screens on any given Saturday.  But as much as I love this season, when December rolls around,  I don't kick and scream as I'm pulling out my red peacoat.  No, I just pull it out and quietly put away my t-shirts.  And one time, I even found a $20 bill in the pocket from the previous year!  Sweet!  And when spring comes, I put up the peacoat and grab the sundresses and flip-flops.  The same with summer.  I go from one season to another without much of a fuss.   

But do I do that in life?  When God has a season planned for me, do I go into it with an open heart, looking for what he has for me in that new season?  I'm afraid I don't.  Why?  I am entirely too comfortable in the previous season. I kick and scream and pitch a fit and white knuckle and will-not-let-go.  Apparently because I think I know what is best for me.  Which I absolutely do not.  But just as seasons during the year change, so do seasons in life.  And just like when the weather changes, it is not necessarily a bad thing.  Yes, it will take some adjusting, but I. will. be. okay.  And I want to be one who embraces life.  One who goes in no-holds-bar living in the moment, for the glory of God!  

I think we can learn something from the change of seasons.  It is ok to move forward.  And not only ok, but it is good, because a season's change in life is usually necessary.  

And you know, I bet if I look for it, just like I found a $20 bill in the pocket of my peacoat, I will find a sweet spot in the season of life that I find myself in.  

"For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven.."
Ecclesiastes 3:1

No comments:

Post a Comment