Sunday, December 15, 2013

Adventures of Advent


Have you ever slowed down to really take in the season of Advent?  

I had paid it no attention other than seeing the Advent candles lit at church during the month of December until this year.  I am doing Desiring God's devotional and it has radically changed the way I view the story of the birth of Jesus.  
I will just be honest with you and tell you that I had only heard the words of the Christmas story and never really let them soak in until now.  
One of the devotionals in particular is staying with me.  


                                                                                                                                           And Mary said,
“My soul magnifies the Lord,and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior..."
Luke 1:46


Last week, I was in Kentucky for work and I got back yesterday.  
I had two different Christmas parties last night, and it was such a joy to be around everyone!  And although I had driven all day, I wasn't even tired! 
Well, when I got in last night, it hit me.  
I was overwhelmed.  I realized I have very few gifts bought.  I was whining.   
I was short tempered.  I was just a mess.  I was exhausted to the point of tears.  
The laundry was PILED in my room.  I had no groceries for the upcoming week.  
My apartment wasn't clean (well, to my standard anyway).   
Right here in my little loft apartment, the world was ending.  

I even woke up in a panic this morning wondering how I could possibly get everything done that I have to do.  

And the Holy Spirit gave me a gentle nudge 
"You are magnifying the wrong things, Katy."  
I was sobered.  
Had I really numbed down my soul so much that my version of that verse could have said, 

"My soul magnifies the laundry and my spirit rejoices in a clean apartment and getting my Christmas shopping done..." ?? 

Shame on me.  

Jesus, Emmanuel.  Do we really understand what that means?  
He has come down for us.  He was sent from Heaven to be our ransom.  
He gave up Heaven so that we might one day gain it.  
HE GAVE HIMSELF UP FOR US.    
And I worry and obsess about laundry.  Puh-lease.  

We are created to make much of SOMETHING. We will worship.  
Maybe, for you, that is somebody.  
Maybe it's a status.  Maybe it's your children, home, 
and yes, even as trivial as it sounds,  laundry.  
 We are created to worship and magnify something greater than ourselves.  

So what about you?  What are you magnifying today? 

I hope you are rejoicing in the promise that he has come,
 and that he will surely come again.  
Let's magnify The Lord and him ALONE together this Advent Season.  



P.S.  The laundry is done, the apartment is clean, and the world didn't end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment