Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Will We Eat in Heaven?

 
I was asked this question yesterday, and of course I didn't know the answer.  I mean, will we eat in Heaven?  Will it be manna or will it be feasts?  Or will it be the best pizza you can find?  And does it really matter?  And I say yes.  Yes, it does matter. 
 
The point of asking me that question wasn't really to get me to figure out if we would eat in Heaven or not.  It was to point me to a greater purpose and to shift my perspective. 
What things really matter in light of eternity?  Will what I wore to church on Sunday really matter?  How about what so-and-so thinks of how my apartment looks? 
And how it is decorated? 
What about my iPhone? 
And what about that longing for a new car that I have? 
 
What really matters in light of eternity? 
Those are the things that my time, energy, and sacrifice should pour into. 
Which relationships should I really invest in? 
And the big one-- and the one that made this little emotional female cry-- will an earthly marriage even carry over into eternity? 
 
Gulp. 
 
I just don't live in light of eternity, most of the time.
I know that because of the anxiety I feel when something (silly) goes wrong in my everyday life. 
I do think that new car will make me happy. 
I think a husband will provide companionship that I long for.   
I think my reputation and what people think are very important.
And really, all I am doing is wasting time here, if I long for these earthly things.
 I want to see things with the spiritual eyes God has given me, but so often, the world and it's demands and expectations take my eyes away.

I want to live my life "...on Earth as it is in Heaven..."

I want to live with the mind and heart that this is the only thing that truly matters...
 
 "After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!”
Revelation 7:9-10
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment